The CGRS released its asylum statistics for October 2017.
- In October 2017, the Belgian Immigration Office registered 1,713 asylum applicants. Every person (including children) is counted as an asylum applicant.
- Additionally, 13 persons arrived in October in Belgium under a resettlement programme and 61 under a relocation programme. This means that a total of 1,787 asylum applicants were registered in October 2017, a decrease compared to September 2017 (1,898 applicants).
- Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq are the top 3 countries of origin of asylum applicants registered in October 2017, followed by Guinea, Albania, Russia, Eritrea, Palestine, Turkey and Congo (DRC).
- In October 2017, the CGRS took 1,875 decisions. These decisions concerned a total of 2,474 persons.
- The protection rate in October 2017 was 53,9 %.
- The total caseload of the CGRS is the number of asylum cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of October 2017, there was a total caseload of 8,324 dossiers. As 5,000 dossiers can be considered a normal caseload, the actual backlog amounted to 3,324 dossiers.