The CGRS released its asylum statistics for March 2018.
- In March 2018, the Belgian Immigration Office registered 1,779 asylum applicants. Every person (including children) is counted as an asylum applicant. Compared with the previous month (1,757) the number of asylum applicants reached approximately the same height.
- Syria, Afghanistan and Georgia are the top 3 countries of origin of asylum applicants registered in February 2018, followed by Palestine, Iraq, Albania, Eritrea, Guinea, Congo (DRC) and Turkey.
- In March 2018, the CGRS took 1,990 decisions. These decisions concerned a total of 2,501 persons.
- The protection rate in March 2018 was 44 %.
- The total caseload of the CGRS is the number of asylum cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of March 2018, there was a total caseload of 6,994 dossiers. As 4,500 dossiers can be considered a normal caseload, the actual backlog amounted to 2,494 dossiers.