The CGRS released its asylum statistics for February 2018.
- In February 2018, the Belgian Immigration Office registered 1,589 asylum applicants. Every person (including children) is counted as an asylum applicant.
- Additionally, 164 persons arrived in February in Belgium under a resettlement programme and 4 under a relocation programme. This means that a total of 1,757 asylum applicants were registered in February 2018, a decrease compared to January 2018 (1,893 applicants).
- Syria, Afghanistan and Palestine are the top 3 countries of origin of asylum applicants registered in February 2018, followed by Congo (DRC), Iraq, Georgia, Guinea, Albania, Russia and Turkey.
- In February 2018, the CGRS took 1,365 decisions. These decisions concerned a total of 1,646 persons.
- The protection rate in February 2018 was 47,6 %.
- The total caseload of the CGRS is the number of asylum cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of February 2018, there was a total caseload of 7,700 dossiers. As 4,500 dossiers can be considered a normal caseload, the actual backlog amounted to 3,200 dossiers.