The CGRS released its asylum statistics for August 2017.
- In August 2017, the Belgian Immigration Office registered 1,549 asylum applicants. Every person (including children) is counted as an asylum applicant.
- Additionally, 194 persons arrived in August in Belgium under a resettlement programme and 47 under a relocation programme. This means that a total of 1,790 asylum applicants were registered in August 2017, an increase compared to July 2017 (1,529 applicants).
- Syria, Afghanistan and Palestine are the top 3 countries of origin of asylum applicants registered in August 2017, followed by Iraq, Eritrea, Albania, Guinea, Congo (DRC), Somalia and Indefinite.
- In August 2017, the CGRS took 1,663 decisions. These decisions concerned a total of 2,196 persons.
- The protection rate in August 2017 was 48,9 %.
- The total caseload of the CGRS is the number of asylum cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of August 2017, there was a total caseload of 10,078 dossiers. As 5,000 dossiers can be considered a normal caseload, the actual backlog amounted to 5,078 dossiers.