The CGRS has published the asylum figures for April 2020.
APPLICATIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL PROTECTION
- In April, the Immigration Office registered 236 applicants for international protection. Each person (including children) is counted separately.
- In April 2020 Afghanistan, Syria, Colombia and Palestine lead the top 10 of countries of origin of applicants for international protection. Iraq, Turkey, Venezuela, Morocco, Somalia and Albania completed the top 10.
- Owing to the confinement measures decided by the National Security Board in order to check the propagation of the Coronavirus, personal interviews have been suspended at the CGRS since Monday 16 March 2020.
- However, the mission of the CGRS, i.e. to take decisions about applications for international protection, is deemed necessary, that’s to say that it still has to be carried out.
- Therefore, the CGRS has taken 1,657 decisions in April 2020, concerning a total of 2,056 persons. This could for a large part be achieved by closing pending files in which a personal interview had already taken place.
- In April 2020, the protection rate was 30.6 %.
- The total workload of the CGRS corresponds to the number of cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of April 2020, the total workload amounted to 11,348 cases (14,355 persons). In view of the current inflow, a volume of 4,200 dossiers can be considered as a normal caseload. The actual backlog amounts to 7,148 cases.