After the interview, the protection officer investigates the asylum application. He examines whether
- the statement and evidence are credible
- the application meets the criteria of the Geneva Refugee Convention
- the applicant may qualify for subsidiary protection.
The protection officer assessing the application has a university degree and is specialised in asylum law. He has thorough knowledge of the countries of origin of applicants for international protection.
On the basis of his knowledge and experience, the protection officer
- determines whether the documents of the applicant are relevant and authentic
- compares the statements of the applicant with the situation in the country of origin.
The protection officer may also consult the Cedoca researchers who follow closely the news, human rights situation and security situation in these countries.