The CGRS released its asylum statistics for September 2017.
- In September 2017, the Belgian Immigration Office registered 1,576 asylum applicants. Every person (including children) is counted as an asylum applicant.
- Additionally, 237 persons arrived in September in Belgium under a resettlement programme and 85 under a relocation programme. This means that a total of 1,898 asylum applicants were registered in September 2017, an increase compared to August 2017 (1,790 applicants). This increase is mainly due to a relatively higher number of persons who arrived within the framework of resettlement or relocation.
- Syria, Afghanistan and Palestine are the top 3 countries of origin of asylum applicants registered in September 2017, followed by Iraq, Guinea, Albania, Congo (DRC), Eritrea, Somalia and Russia.
- In September 2017, the CGRS took 1,713 decisions. These decisions concerned a total of 2,157 persons.
- The protection rate in September 2017 was 50 %.
- The total caseload of the CGRS is the number of asylum cases in which the CGRS has not yet taken a decision.
- At the end of September 2017, there was a total caseload of 9,273 dossiers. As 5,000 dossiers can be considered a normal caseload, the actual backlog amounted to 4,273 dossiers.